Wednesday, July 16, 2014

What I Gained From Tutoring

I am fairly new to the TEAM mentoring program. Having joined in March, I was only a mentor three months before summer came and ended our regular sessions. However, in just those three months I came to really enjoy being part of something so great.

People always say that helping others is where you find yourself. This couldn't be more true for me as a mentor these past few months. I originally joined TEAM because I saw a poster on the USU campus that advertised a program where one could mentor high school students. Because I'm going to school to become a high school guidance counselor, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get some experience and see if my chosen career path is one that I would really enjoy. TEAM validated for me on a whole new level that the decision I made was the right one.

When I was a junior in high school I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Yet, college application deadlines were quickly approaching, where I knew I had to declare a major. After much thought on the issue I began to wonder why I had not received more guidance on exploring career options and forming life goals earlier in my high school career. I began to think that there most have been more someone could have done to help us prepare for life beyond high school. Therefore, I decided I wanted to become a school guidance counselor to help students realize their dreams at a time most critical to their futures. And even more than that, provide the resources and support to help them get there.

TEAM is a program that does exactly that, and more, for the students at Logan High School. Academic tutoring makes sure students will graduate. College readiness (ACT prep, scholarships, FAFSA) ensures that they will get into and be able to afford the college of their choice. Teambuilding encourages friendships and builds life skills of cooperation. STEM teaches them about various fields of study so they can discover what interests them. Service and civic engagement not only build their college applications but teaches them the importance of charity and being involved in ones community.


Being a part of TEAM proved to me that my goals were not unfounded or unrealistic. Helping youth through the various obstacles and challenges associated with high school and future planning  is so needed and so fulfilling. Tutoring allows you to help others, learn about yourself, and form wonderful friendships in the process. I'm grateful to be a part of such an amazing organization that allows me to get so much through giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment